Thursday, September 26, 2013

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions







Learning about microaggressions this week aloud for me to really pin point some situations that I have witnessed that were unsettling for me. In my last management position my director and I were in the process of looking for our summer hires for our summer program. She explained she knew of someone that she felt would be great for the position the only issue was that she was pregnant and did not feel she would be able to adequately perform her duties because of this situation. She then explained that she didn't exactly have a choice but to hire her because of the discrimination law. After having this staff member come in and sign her hiring paper work the director and her assistant as I had witnessed before proceeded to joke about the way this staff member talked, the things she said and mocked her actions. I would not have made a big deal about the situation except I now realize this was a racial microaggression that had occurred one to many times.This situation made me lose respect for my superior and her assistant from this day forward.  

   


Even though some may not see any harm in the things that they say or ways they mock others I realize it can be hurtful and send off the wrong message to those around them or even to that person and make that person change their perception of you as a person. 

5 comments:

  1. First of all let me state that I love the pictures you chose for your blog post. I am a person who loves and appreciates art in all fashions. I have also witnessed and even been a part of situations where another person was mocked for how they talked and how they dressed. Through this course I was fully able to see the error in my ways as well as others. We have to be more conscious of our actions and how we can be perceived by others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    That was very unprofessional of both the director and her assistant. Mocking someone isn't nice and it is very childish. Microagressions are more common than we think. We are now more aware of them. Thanks for sharing.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren,

    Your story touched my heart. When I was pregnant, my director behaved as if I was handicap. I could not believe her behavior towards me. I sat her done one day and said I am pregnant not disable. If there is something I cannot do or if I cannot perform my duties at work I will tell you. That is terrible how they behaved toward the intended hire and how they use discrimination laws to justify their actions. Sometimes people forget we all go through the same things and at any time we can all be hurt by comments made by others. This was a great example. Thank you sharing and have a great week!

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great post! What struck me is the fact that we often have a habit of judging others and focusing on their imperfections or deficiencies while forgetting that we have our own--some are visible others are not. These imperfections and/or deficiencies do not make any of us less valuable or able to make important contributions to our family, job or society at large. I think whenever we can instead of mocking or rejecting in situations like this we can support and encourage growth in people when it is possible to do so and if they desire it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, The pictures that you chose for your blog really showed images of micro aggressions. Your example of your micro aggression shows justification the affects of them. How do you feel that the director could have use their words more carefully to not use racial comments. Even though these comments were not directly said to the pregnant women, there is racism that comes even if it is known or not. Do you now look more into what people say, especially when they are asking questions that are pertaining to your personally? Thank you for you post!!- Brittany

    ReplyDelete