Saturday, April 27, 2013

When I Think of Research.....


When I think about research there are multiple different thoughts that comes to my head. First I think of the possibilities of all the information I could retain from any topic. Through out this course I have learned that even though research can be extremely beneficial it can also provide you with information that may be more detrimental to your research than accurate. Not all research is good research.

When I first started this course the idea of research frightened me. I didn't know how to accurately know how to look up information for a research project or how to determine if the information I was using was beneficial. I have now learned how to determine how to determine which research is going to be helpful to my topic of study or if it is even useful at all.

When it comes to research within the early childhood field I have learned it is important to have a general topic and then subtopics when it comes to research. During this process I have learned that I have a broader spectrum that I can research on.
 
Without knowing the proper way to research and what information is useful in my study. I found myself struggling to complete research studies and apply the information I found into my current papers.
 
One topic that stood out the most to me was the study between right wrong and the ethics of the study. Ethics is a vital part of the successful early childhood study.

I have learned the positive impact that research can have on my professional early childhood study interactions. Even though I have learned a lot from my personal and professional experience this course has allowed for me to learn how to increase my understanding  and apply it to my professional outcomes.







From the beginning of this educational journey I have learned one of my biggest supporters has been my fellow colleagues. I would like to thank you for all your support and insight during this process. 

6 comments:

  1. Lauren,

    I also struggled in knowing what information was important to add into my paper and my biggest changelles was writing out the hypotheses and narrowing down my topic. I have concluded that I will not be the person to conduct research but will use other research to stay up to date in current early childhood development. Good luch on your future classes and hope to see familiar names in my next class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems as though we all struggled with the same challenges in the beginning of this course. It is great to know that we were able to learn from each other and are more knowledgeable about research and the importance of it throughout the early childhood field. I wish you success in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,

    I really liked how you mentioned that not all research is good. I actually forgot about this lesson that I too learned along the way. It was nice to see your perspective and be reminded that not every piece of research is important. I feel like I am headed in the right direction of learning which pieces are good and which ones aren't. Research definitely has a positive impact on the field of early childhood education. I'm so glad to see that you, me, and the rest of our colleagues grasped a lot of meaning and insights from this course.

    Best of luck!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren,
    Great blog! You are so right about this class frightening you, I think everyone felt the same way. How wonderful to hear of your learning process, when you mentioned bad research it makes me think of the whole immunizations causing autism fars. That started a whole panic and large movement of parents not immunizing their children all from very bad research. The Dr. who wrote it had his licence taken away, but the affects are still being felt. As early childhood professionals we pass on what we read, now we can do that with confidence. Thank you for all your great work in this class and happy research reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren,

    I have really enjoyed reading your blog. You blogs have always been eye catching an it made them easier to read. It was nice finding out that I was not the only one in the class a tittle weary about it. I would like to thank you and my other colleagues for a assistance with gaining some of the reassurance needed in this field. I look forward to working with you in the future

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren,

    The ethical research topic in this class was also a stronger focus for me. Research needs to be ethical in order to be valid. I have enjoyed sharing my thoughts and views with you as well as learning from you. Thank you for all your comments and kind words throughout this course. Good luck continuing your studies!

    Victoria Leming

    ReplyDelete