Sunday, January 19, 2014

Modern Family

For this weeks assignment I decided to use the show Modern Family. The episode I watched was Suddenly, Last Summer. I decided on this show because of the reviews and commercials I had seen about the show and it seemed to express multiple levels of communication.

 Show on mute:
Watching the show on mute I was able to determine which couples were together and their families. 
During the show they have moments when they sit down and talk to the camera as couples which helped me determine them clearly. 
I would say this couple is married, I saw a wedding ring on both of their fingers. The husband is very hard to read he doesn't really show and defining emotion. The wife always seems to be happy she is always smiling and seems to have a lot of excitement in everything that goes on. 

I did not see a wedding band on this couples hand so I would say they were common law married depending on if marriage is legal in their state. This couple seem very happy as individuals. Their facial expressions are clear and you can clearly tell between their non verbal communication how they are feeling at the moment. 

This couple appeared married observing the wedding rings on their hands and also the children that were in the scenes with them. The expression on the wife's face seems frustrated and then she changes to showing some expressions of happiness. The husband always seemed to be in a good mood. He always seemed to have a smirk or smile on his face. 

Show with sound:
The assumptions I made about the couples in this show were correct. Also what I observed through non verbal communication was correct once I was about to hear what the characters were saying. 

I feel if I was watching a show that I knew well I would not have to assume the feelings that each character was having. For example if I would of been watch Law and Order I would be able to tell you exactly how each character was feeling based on their emotions because I know the characters. 

Even though this show was fairly easy to read the emotions on some of characters faces I could understand how it would be difficult to do in a show where they did not show a lot of non verbal communication. 



No comments:

Post a Comment