Sunday, February 10, 2013

Getting to Know Your International Contacts-Part 2

This week I decided to choose Susan Lyon. Listening to her podcast this week reminded me why I enjoy working with this age group of children. Early childhood through maybe about third grade a child is still learning how to adapt to the world and how to allow what is happening to affect their life. Something that Susan explained was when she was trying to help the child with the word but didn't  want to tell him what it was at first even with the frustration that she seen progressing she stood her ground until the right moment. I am going to start to implement this into my own educating because even though I know child like assistance they may not always need it but instead a push to help them in the right direction of figure things out themselves. 










While looking over the "Global Children's Initiative" website I came across a paper discussing how "Maternal Depression Can Undermine the Development of Young Children". Working within the Early Childhood field I have learned that we as educators over look the reasoning of why a child is reacting or not reacting in a particular manor. This paper shows some of the view points that educators need to start considering. 

I have always found an interest on figuring out the "Why's" of a child's actions. This website was able to give a stronger idea of why children react the way they do, and this has to do with the science make up in their brains due to abuse, trauma or neglect. 

I have contacted a recreation center that I grew up going to as a child and asked them if they were willing to try and start a new program offering children an alternative outreach to those who are seeking more in their education but just have not been able to find a place to go. I was told that they would get back to me with some additional information on how they would be able to provide this help. Even though this may require me to have to move back to my home town for a little while, I am looking forward to giving back to the community of those who gave back to me. 


1 comment:

  1. Lauren
    Great information from your podcast. I also try to get in the habit of let children figure things out for themselves. I think that if we provide them with plenty opportunities to problem solve in their own, they eventually learn to think, analyze, before they do things. Also children eventually start learning how to be independent, and not in need of so much from the teacher. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete