Saturday, January 19, 2013

National Black Child Development Institute

The organization that I choose to do more research on is:
National Black Child Development Institute:  www.nbcdi.org

This organizations mission is to improve and advance the live of Black children and their families, through advocacy and education. They are built up of volunteers all over the nation who have the same desires and motives in helping young children. Some of the focuses of this organization are to improve child welfare services, make universal early care and education a reality, build family support services, press for educational reform and vital information regarding our children's health. 

What caught my attention about this organization was their focus in their Early Childhood Education section. Being and African American daughter to a single mother of two, I was automatically put into a stereotype that I was going to struggle to make something of myself and that I was going to fall into the foot steps of my mother. I was blessed to have a supportive family and hard working mother who would do anything to see her children succeed. I know that not every child has that choice. Not every child has parent's at home who can help them with their homework or be a support in their lives. This particular section of this website shows different workshops that are offered to parents to help them with knowing how to support their children, starting with the building confidence and self esteem for themselves. 

As an educator I believe that going to workshops that are not directly related with our jobs can be extremely beneficial to our children and and families. I  have decided that I am going to look into attending at least one workshop a year and see what I can take back with me and apply to my own classroom and community. 



3 comments:

  1. This is a great program, you come from personal experience and a professional perspective. I agree with you about attending workshops that aren't directly related to your job. This is also a great way to tap into a community resource. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,

    I looked at this website as well and loved the concepts and ideas presented. I am so looking forward to your further posts about this website.

    I'm glad to know that you had a positive experience growing up with your mom. It's a great experience that you can pass on to families with single parents to let them know that they can do it too!

    This website is a great resource for African American families, and I'm so pleased to know that you will be following it.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,

    Coming from the African-American culture myself, I completely understand some of the stigma's that you may have endured while raising your children. Isn't it great to have those people attempting to discourage you, because look at you now!! You were able to use those people/situation as a foot stool. I am eager to learn from your post throughout this course to learn more about this resource.

    ReplyDelete