Saturday, September 15, 2012

Immunization

Importance of Immunizations

Immunizations are very important in this day and age. They have to be up to date and on record in order to start school. While working for a summer camp I learned that some parents do not believe in giving there children immunizations. I was told that this parent believed that the "drug" that was going to be put into her child's body would cause more harm than help. This was interesting to me because since I was a child I received my yearly shots and never thought twice about it.

In South Africa their immunizations are given not to make sure they can get into school the next year but to save their life. The mortality rate in South Africa is very high and new vaccines for the children are very important. 

Being able to research and read about how in different parts of the world something as simple as immunizations can help reduce the mortality rate is very important. Every child deserves a chance in life, and if we would all not take for granted what we have here in the U.S. and think of those across the world who do not have those luxuries.

I one day plan to travel and share my knowledge and help those who are in need. I will start to pay more attention to the luxuries that I have here in the use and will try my best to help those who are less fortunate. 

References:

4 comments:

  1. Dear Lauren,

    Immunizations are so important, actually critical for the health of children! Just like you, I have also heard that immunizations might not be good, and can cause more harm than it protects, which, in my opinion is plain stupidity! How do people choose to believe in rumors and do not protect their children against diseases such as poliomyelitis, measles, diphtheria?

    Nice post!

    R.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,
    I think the more we research issues in other countries, the more we will realize how many things we take for granted in this country. We do tend to associate our children's immunizations as a passage. We know which shots are due at which age. Then there are the shots when the child is going to "big school". My daughter just had her Meningitis shot that she needs to enter college. Our local university had an outbreak a few years ago and now this is known as the "college shot". The point here is that we give time lines to these immunizations without ever thinking that we are saving our children's lives. When we look at the challenges mothers face in other countries, we definitely see a different perspective on issues.
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Lauren,
    Immunization is a controversy topic. Even in the United States we still have families who think that immunizations are not good for your body. I need to do more research about it, but like you mentioned, I am so use to get the shots in the time required, something that we follow as a rule. It is amazing how in other countries they still need to fight diseases because the prevention has not been taken into account. Thank you for your research!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren,

    I appreciate your research and input. Even though some have concerns about immunizations, I don't know how one could take the chance by not immunizing their children. I agree with you that is amazing how something as simple as a shot can can save a child's life. I am so impressed with your goals to travel and share your knowledge. Thanks! Cindy

    ReplyDelete